Interview with Magnus Alpadine: from Scandinavia to Italy, from the West to the Baltic and beyond!

edited January 2 in Rad Interviews

Magnus Alpadine likes to explore Europe on one of his many bicycles. He took off multiple times cycling for months enjoying cross-continent outings. These are planned ahead by himself. Magnus did gain lots of experience, thus we wanted to ask him how to imagine a journey of his. Here we go!

Bike Infantry:
What is your first cycling experience?

Magnus Alpadine:
I cycled to My job last years. 50 km per Day.

B.I.:
When did you start long-distance cycling?

M.A.:
Summer 2019 I cycled 30 km in germany and Poland.

B.I.:
What type of bicycle do you use?

M.A.:
First I thougt to take My old racingbilke, but thaught about bad road standards so I changed My mind. I bought a second hand low quality chinese ordinary bike but with 21 gears for 60 euro. And till I reached South Italy without problems. There I got a few punctures, thats all and now I'm in goal , Malta.

B.I.:
Did you do some modifications / upgrades to customize it?

M.A.:
I changed wheels to stronger. And mounted Charger from wheelgenerator to cellphone. I also bought komoot navigation program which has been very helpful but difficult to learn. I bought framebag,
rear bags, a warerproof bag and mounted two small rearbags om the front basket, not professional.

B.I.:
Any basic advise to those without experience on long-distance journeys?

M.A.:
I made It through europe with very simle equippment. And Im almoast 60 years.
But I was in quite Good form when I started. If you dont have timelimit or want to do very many kilometers a Day it's not difficult.

B.I.:
How long is your current journey we heard of couple of weeks ago?

M.A.:
Two months now, and home I think I Will Go by train most of the way.

B.I.:
How did you prepare for this adventure?

M.A.:
I planned a lot to go to black sea in Ukraine. Studied russian and more. Then Corona stopped me between Belarus and Ukraine. Quick and total change of plans. After that I planned only One country at the time. Corona stopped more plans, so I ended up in Malta.

B.I.:
Did you laucn from your hometown? Did other cyclists join you on your trip from Scandinavia?

M.A.:
No, but I met a Guy from scisily in North Italy so we cycled most of Italy together.

B.I.:
What do you prefer: cycle till you find a bridge or use a ferry to cross bays and rivers?

M.A.:
Can't say. Depends om many things.

B.I.:
Did you use Warm Showers, Couchsurfing or any other online social platforms to get accommodation?

M.A.:
Slept with couchsurfers 3 nights. Tried many more but with negativen result.

B.I.:
Did you have all the neccesarry tools with you during the journey? Can you fix bicycles yourself?

M.A.:
I brought much. I can fix some things but not advanced things.

B.I.:
How weather-proof are you? Can you recommend readers how to launch for a months long outing?

M.A.:
My old tent and rainclothes are not 100% warerproof. Sometimes I cycle in rain but try to sleep inside that Night. I check weatherforecast and plan so I can stay in a hostel when it comes very rainy days.

B.I.:
How many bikes did you have so far? Which one was your favourite?

M.A.:
I have many old bikes. A 35years old Swedish 10gears racingbilke is favorite.

B.I.:
What do you recommend to do as a warm-up excersise to those who got inspired by your story? Do you start each day with breakfast and a bit of training?

M.A.:
Everyday bicykle to job was Good for me.

B.I.:
Were have you stopped for longer periods? How easy was it to cross borders?
What about Covid-tests?

M.A.:
No longer stops. 2, 3 days in Grodno, Krakow, Brno, Wienna and Castellammare and maybe some more places.

B.I.:
Would you set out to do another journey soon?

M.A.:
Not planned.

B.I.:
Thank you!

Recorded online (November 2020)
Edited by BikeInfantry (January, 2021)

For personal pictures, please visit: Instagram/magnusuteochcyklar